(07) 3348 9611

Frequently Asked Questions

Why have I been referred to an OccPhyz Consulting specialist doctor?

If your referral is from your Insurer, Legal representative or employer, they have requested for you to have an Independent medical assessment relating to your injury or illness complaint. If your referral has come from your treating GP or Specialist then they are requesting for ongoing treatment Specialist advice relating to your medical condition.


What is the difference between “Independent” advice and “Treatment” advice?

“Independent” advice is where our doctors will provide an assessment on your medical condition and its effect on your functionality. Our doctors will not provide advice or recommendations for ongoing treatment of your condition.  No Medicare rebates or Private Health rebates are available for this type of consultation.

“Treatment” referrals (usually from your GP) is where our doctors will assess you and provide ongoing management and guidance to you regarding your medical condition. Rebates from Medicare are applicable here for treatment advice.


What is an Occupational & Environmental Physician?

An Occupational & Environmental Physician or OEP is a medically trained Specialist doctor who has passed their exams and is now registered with the Australian Faculty of Occupational & Environmental Medicine (AFAOEM), which is a branch of the Royal Australian College of Physicians (RACP).  This group of consultants are medical specialists in the diagnosis and management of all conditions relating to the work force by analysing workplace risk, fitness for work and environmental hazards.


What is a Permanent Impairment (PI) assessment?

A Permanent Impairment (PI) assessment is a type of assessment performed once you have reached maximum medical improvement (MMI), which you are unlikely to improve or deteriorate significantly in the next 12 months. Our doctor will assess your impairment based on very specific instructions and criteria developed by WorkCover Qld – for more information visit www.worksafe.qld.gov.au or the relevant State Workers’ Compensation jurisdiction relating to your claim.  If you are being assessed in relation to Compulsory Third Party claims e.g. injuries sustained in a motor vehicle crash, the assessment will be made using clinical judgement, radiological tests and the rating guides utilising the Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment 4th, 5th or 6th Editions.


Can I get a copy of my report?

Your report will be sent (normally electronically) to the organisation or person who referred you to see us. It will take approximately 10 working days for your referrer to receive your report. You may request a copy of your report be released from your referrer, usually through your GP so that your findings in the report can be explained to you. You will not receive a copy of your report directly from us.

Head Office

Level 1, 1151 Wynnum Rd
Cannon Hill QLD 4170

Tel: +617 3348 9611

Fax: +617 3348 9633


Trading Hours:

Monday - Friday 

08:00AM - 04:00PM


Permanent impairment assessments

Independent medical examinations

Insurance and employer claim management


Fitness for work assessments

Return to work assessments

Medico-legal assessments

Forensic file reviews


Military medicine

Education of stakeholders

Education events

Work site visits